Stopping it from happening is the most important step. Taking proper safety precautions will lower your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Canada.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours going in the small space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills for heat. These items are safe when run properly but can make carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in tight spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, because it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a specialist. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected appropriately.
- Verify gas appliances are operating accurately, particularly your heater. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by scheduling routine furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning.