The Value of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature drops and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more often, you should also reach for your phone to schedule annual furnace maintenance. Ensuring your furnace runs optimally this winter enhances your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s more about what this crucial yearly task entails and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Does Furnace Maintenance Involve?
A maintenance visit is a surefire way to get your heating system up to par. Although the exact tasks depend on the type and age of your system, you can generally expect your technician to perform the following:
- Inspect and clean the burner: Over time, dirt and debris can clog the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it restores optimal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Ensuring these valves are fully open and operating correctly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Check the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can lead to carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s important to ensure no cracks are present.
- Evaluate and tighten electrical components: Loose connections can make your system unsafe and inefficient. Fortunately, tightening them is a fast and simple task.
- Clean the blower: A dirty blower affects your furnace’s ability to circulate warm air throughout your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan ensures the best airflow.
- Change the air filter: Clean air filters ensure proper airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirty air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also improves indoor air quality if you install an efficient enough filtration system.
Reasons to Schedule Annual Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace appears to be running fine, is it still worthwhile to schedule a maintenance visit? Consider these four reasons why the answer is a resounding “yes”:
- Reduce mid-season breakdowns: Nothing is worse than waking up on a cold winter morning to discover your furnace has stopped working. Mid-season breakdowns are stressful and can leave you scrambling to find a quick fix. Annual furnace maintenance reduces the risk of unexpected problems because your technician inspects every part of your system, catching minor issues before they grow into costly repairs.
- Lower repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the earlier you catch a problem, the less expensive it is to fix. By investing in affordable, predictable maintenance visits, you can avoid expensive, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Increase your furnace’s life span: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives annual tune-ups will likely last longer than a neglected heating system. Annual maintenance saves you the expense of premature furnace replacement by adding years to your system’s life span.
- Improve energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system runs more efficiently. When all the components are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home warm. This decreases your energy bills and lessens your environmental impact.
- Enhance indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air aggravates allergies and respiratory issues. The air filter in your furnace captures dust, pollen and other airborne irritants to reduce these problems. During a maintenance visit, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air circulates through your home.
- Boosts safety: A malfunctioning furnace is not only inefficient, it’s also potentially dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or faulty gas valves can lead to hazardous carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been inspected for any possible safety issues should give you peace of mind this winter.
When Should You Schedule Your Maintenance Visit?
To reap the most benefits, it’s best to schedule annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill sets in. This ensures that any issues are addressed before you begin relying heavily on your heating system.
DIY Furnace Maintenance Between Formal Visits
Although professional maintenance is essential, you can perform several tasks yourself to keep your furnace running smoothly between visits:
- Change the air filter every 30 to 90 days to optimize airflow.
- Keep all return and supply registers open and unblocked for system balance.
- Vacuum the outside of the furnace with the brush attachment to keep it clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in Canada
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance visit, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is a name you can trust. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting solutions to all your comfort problems. We’re proud to deliver solutions to everyone we can and strive to make a meaningful difference in your life and sense of comfort. We even offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee for your peace of mind. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.