One of the most common problems that we encounter at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Canada is dirty air filters. They can seem like a very small piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you may encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the biggest headache you’ll notice when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Reduced energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any potential damage that could come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters available, give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 866-397-3787 or schedule an appointment online.