Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your house, being comfy in your new space regardless of outdoor temperatures is a priority. However, they can create a unique challenge for heating and cooling. This is because adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the increased load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition could be a good fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they shift heat to make your room comfier. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for additional rebates and lower your heating and cooling bills for a long time.
Another special feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has a dedicated indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is very beneficial if you have a space with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that don’t have ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than adding ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is pricey. Installing ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the total figure will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system may become overworked. When your existing heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This may stress your system and make it fail faster.
- Your comfort might suffer. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort could decrease if your system has to cover a wider location. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your electricity and gas expenses might skyrocket as a result of the system needing to run more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you choose the right size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when adequately tuned up. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the ideal model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide support. Contact us at 866-397-3787 today to request a free consultation and estimate.