According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually connected to wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is one of the leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Canada homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.
How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?
- No home should be without a reliable, tested CO detector. You can call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
- Existing CO detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance annually to ascertain no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the beginning of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its lifespan, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new hvac system.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.