Spring is enjoyable for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can crack windows for fresh air and your utility bill is commonly at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your heating or air conditioner.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy charges. Here are a couple of suggestions for saving energy in Canada and keeping bills less expensive.
1. Schedule Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system an annual tune-up can help it operate more efficiently and cut down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep power bills low.
If your cooling equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in modern air conditioning systems is a definite advantage for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling expenses. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to expertly work your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and interior temperatures, the smaller your air conditioning bill will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or turn it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty residence.
3. Experiment with Other Ways to Cool Your House
You can do several other approaches to help keep your house at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which pushes cool air upward. This distributes cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your house comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny areas.
4. Think About Using a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and adjust the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These expert tips will all help keep summer energy charges economical. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation online. We’ll help you figure out the best solution for your house. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.