Spring is enjoyable for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can crack windows for fresh air and your utility bill is commonly at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not using your heating or air.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy charges. Here are a couple of tips for saving energy in Canada and keeping costs low.
1. Schedule Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and cut down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep power bills low.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is a good time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in newer air conditioning systems is a definite advantage for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on home comfort costs. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Focusing on how to expertly work your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy charges in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think of it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and interior temperatures, the cheaper your air conditioning bill will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or turn it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty residence.
3. Experiment with Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can do several other approaches to help keep your house at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise in the summer, which forces cool air upward. This distributes cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your house comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny rooms.
4. Consider Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats learn your schedule and adjust the temp when you’re not around to help you save money. You can also change the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These expert ideas will all help keep summer energy charges economical. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 866-397-3787 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the best solution for your home. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.